Promiscuous readers share their thoughts

Promiscuous readers share their thoughts

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Portland Oregon's Local Bookstore: Powell's

I recently spent several days in Portland, Oregon for a work conference. I had the opportunity to explore the downtown area between classes and activities.

The lobby of the Hotel Monaco where I stayed had a lovely seating area where I was able to spend time reading the local newspaper and getting ready for the day. The area reminded me of the inside of Jeannie's bottle in "I Dream of Jeannie."


Hotel Monaco lobby

I had two sightseeing goals while visiting Portland. The first was to visit Powell's bookstore. Powell's City of Books is the largest of its kind in the world. The original store is around 68,000 square feet. It takes up several adjacent buildings in downtown Portland. I spent a few hours getting lost in the nine color-coded rooms, which contained 3,500 sections of books.




My second goal was to visit Voodoo Donuts. This really has nothing to do with reading, but who could pass up a Triple Chocolate Penetration donut? It was well worth the one hour walk and one must have goals in life.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great post Amanda! Thank you for sharing bits of your trip with us. If I ever get out to Portland I want to see all three of these places. Powell's sounds totally overwhelming and awesome and a Triple Chocolate Penetration donut sounds really provocative and kind of dirty. I bet it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete